Fwd: [council] Final Issue Report on the Current State of the UDRP

Wendy Seltzer wendy at SELTZER.COM
Tue Oct 4 00:16:59 CEST 2011

Council just received this report in which staff reiterate their
recommendation against UDRP review, and suggest a "group of experts"
implementation recommendations instead.

> While periodic assessment of policies can be beneficial to guard
> against unexpected results or inefficient process, the GNSO Council
> should consider the perspective of the majority of the ICANN
> community, and the advice of the Government Advisory Committee (GAC),
> and the At-Large Advisory Committee (ALAC), with regard to whether
> such review is necessary or warranted. Although properly within the
> scope of the GNSO’s mandate, Staff recommends that a PDP on the UDRP
> not be initiated at this time. Staff recommends that a PDP be delayed
> until after the New gTLD Uniform Rapid Suspension System (URS) has
> been in operation for at least eighteen months. Doing so would allow
> the policy process to be informed by data regarding the effectiveness
> of the URS, which was modelled on the UDRP, to address the problem of
> cybersquatting.

However, if the GNSO Council determines that the UDRP
> should be reviewed immediately, Staff suggests that the GNSO Council
> consider alternatives to commencing a PDP for addressing this issue.
> After carefully evaluating the issues and concerns expressed by the
> ICANN community regarding the UDRP, many of those concerns relate to
> process issues associated with the implementation of the UDRP, rather
> than the language of the policy itself. The GNSO Council should
> consider, in lieu of commencing a PDP, recommending that ICANN
> convene a small group of experts representing the different community
> viewpoints to produce recommendations to improve the process or
> implementation of the UDRP policy as an initial step. These “expert”
> process recommendations, to the extent they target changes in the
> behavior of the UDRP providers, could be implemented after they are
> recommended by the GNSO Council, and approved by the ICANN Board. If
> after consideration of such expert recommendations, there continues
> to be a desire to conduct a more thorough review of the UDRP, or if
> the recommendations are intended to affect the obligations of the
> contracted parties, the GNSO Council could subsequently initiate a
> more focused PDP at that time.

We should think about how we'd like to respond. I do not think a "group
of experts" is a fair or suitable alternative to review.

--Wendy