Initial Draft Proposal regarding standard Project Funding to Constituencies/SGs

Amr Elsadr aelsadr at EGYPTIG.ORG
Wed Nov 16 15:07:41 CET 2011

On November 16, 2011 at 7:46 AM Rafik Dammak wrote:

"there is fellowship program already, the problem as mentioned by Amr is the
selection, it is disguised way to fund some GAC rep and people from ccTLD to
attend the meeting with the rest of few seats for regulators, academic etc
but nothing for civil society per se, it will be important to push for fair
selection there ( and ask to add more member in the selection committee
which is currently small)."

I didn't mean to suggest a problem with the selection process of the ICANN
Fellowship Program (although there very well might be). I personally believe
that it is a great program, and that the ICANN community is a richer and
more diverse one as a result of it. I do believe that the program can be
improved, and that it is actually constantly improving. For example; the
addition of a "mentor" for each fellow according to his/her wishes regarding
which AC/SO/SG the fellow would like his/her mentor to be from to help wean
fellows into the parts of the community they feel they belong. Avri was mine
at the San Francisco meeting, and I'm grateful to her and the program for
the time and assistance she gave me. If anything, I was suggesting that the
BC is probably not benefitting from the program due to an apparent lack of
interest from the business sectors of developing countries. That is not the
case for non-commercial though. There are always Fellows representing civil
society at ICANN meetings. We should not miss out on introducing NCUC and
NCSG to them especially since there is an obvious desire amongst NCSG
members to engage more with potential members from developing countries.

Could the reason that the BC is seeking to promote the proposal of the
"Special Project" be that they themselves have noticed poor representation
of business interests amongst Fellowship participants? I don't know. I agree
with Bill that this is worth looking into. Marilyn mentioned in her email
that each "constituency" would still have to submit their own budget request
and each will be approved individually, so if we do decide to participate in
submitting this proposal, we can do so in a manner that we see fit as a SG??

"yes NCSG members meet with the fellows, I think that Mary made presentation
last time in Dakar."

That's great. Thanks to Mary for taking the time to be there. I urge NCUC
members attending meetings to coordinate meeting the Fellows with Janice
Lange. It's not a difficult process to arrange this, and Fellowship morning
meetings do not conflict with other meetings during the day as they start at
7:30am. Attendees even get a free breakfast as a bonus! J

Thanks.

Amr