[npoc-voice] Re: [NCSG-Discuss] Notes from NCSG-EC Teleconference on 8 November 2011

Avri Doria avri at ACM.ORG
Wed Nov 16 03:26:38 CET 2011

On 15 Nov 2011, at 20:43, Dan Krimm wrote:

> Does this makes sense to everyone else?

I think it does to me.

> Does NPOC accept this
> characterization?

I think as a SG,  we are trying to narrow down the definition of non-commercial.  An important thing for us to do.  I am not even sure we have a working definition we can all live with. Let alone a definition that is codified and we can swear allegiance to.  And the charter only gives border considerations and general guidelines.  I think it is through these ongoing  discussions that we will be figuring out what it means to this SG to be non-commercial.

I bet most  all recognize the edge conditions: International Chambers of Commerce (no) ----  New York City Coalition Against Hunger (NYCCAH) (yes)

Where i think we have a problem, is the borderline cases.  And it seems that USOC is the first of these to become a Cause Célèbre

So we have:
- people who say of course it isn't NC
- people who say of course it is NC
- people who are not sure if it  isNC
- people who really don't care if it is NC
- and probably some other people too.

And of course only a few people have spoken, so we really don't know what the general feeling is.
All we know is that the EC could not reach consensus on 'it is NC', so they are not qualified for membership.

avri