Fwd: Initial Draft Proposal regarding standard Project Funding to Constituencies/SGs

Milton L Mueller mueller at SYR.EDU
Tue Nov 15 19:02:01 CET 2011

I oppose this idea. Adamantly.

I don't see why domain name registrants should be taxed to support the lobbying of business interests. Cade and the CSG have plenty of means to find funds and to fly themselves and their supporters around. The idea of requiring ICANN to subsidize their "recruitment" activities is extremely distasteful to me.

Yes, I know, we would get our pound of flesh, too. I would rather do without it. I think we have the resources to be self-sustaining and believe that the legitimacy of civil society and business representation will be undercut by creating a captured bureaucracy and funding spigot