NCUC elections for Chair and EC

Milton L Mueller mueller at SYR.EDU
Tue Nov 15 17:42:33 CET 2011

>From: NCSG-Discuss [mailto:NCSG-DISCUSS at LISTSERV.SYR.EDU] On Behalf Of Joly MacFie
>
>My 2c. I think Avri's request is quite reasonable. Such processes
>should be 1) codified, and 2) practiced. If not in the past, then in the
>future. Personal considerations are not material.

Yes, it is reasonable to call for transparency. And going forward we may need to clarify and improve procedures by which the NCUC EC makes decisions. But that is not what is really happening here.

Two relevant facts:

1.       In the confusing end game during which NCUC transformed into NCSG, all kinds of normal procedures were screwed up. For example, half of our GNSO Councilors and several members of the NCSG EC were arbitrarily APPOINTED BY THE BOARD (how's that for openness and transparency to the membership?). There was an interim charter which was a mish-mash of old NCUC procedures and new, staff-imposed interim NCSG procedures, which few people understood.  Moreover, there was nothing in the old NCUC charter that specifically described how NCUC should appoint people to the NCSG EC, because when the NCUC charter was drafted, there was no NCSG EC! During that period, our normal, more open and transparent processes were so disrupted that decision making was messy and more closed than it should have been.

2.       During that period, Avri and I were appointed to the first NCSG EC, and later Avri was agreed as Chair of the NCSG EC. Here is the key fact: The procedure we used to appoint Avri and I were EXACTLY THE SAME as those used to appoint the current NCUC appointees: namely, deliberations among the NCUC Executive Committee, which consists of regional reps elected by the membership. There is no difference in the procedures. So I can understand why Konstantinos feels hurt and incredulous about the current situation.

As you can see from the message of mine that Avri pointed to in the archives, I was calling for an open call for volunteers from the membership for any and every position. I still believe that. But in that case, I was talking about _future_ nominations, under the new regime, and did not understand that Robin and KK were simply trying to verify the names and email addresses of the people NCUC EC had already been nominated (as Robin explained). Avri wanted us to undo and revisit those nominations, because her name wasn't on the list.

So, should better procedures be formalized and improved as Joly suggests? Yes, of course. Is the current drama forward-looking? I am afraid it isn't. Let's make it forward looking, ok?

Avri's points about more transparency are fine on a forward-looking basis. The NCUC has one of the most democratic charters of all constituencies. Everyone is elected by the membership on an annual basis. Anyone can nominate themselves or others for any position. So let's look forward to the next elections and let's get through this. If Avri thinks things can be done better she can run for one of those positions. I don't see a reason for the drama here.