[npoc-voice] Re: [NCSG-Discuss] Notes from NCSG-EC Teleconference on 8 November 2011

William Drake william.drake at UZH.CH
Tue Nov 15 11:27:39 CET 2011

Hi Evan,

Welcome to the list, glad to have a liaison from ALAC.  I have to say though that we may have different conceptions of what that role properly entails, so it might be useful to come to some shared understanding in this regard.  Having been NCUC's liaison to ALAC for the past couple years, I have limited my interventions on your list to such items as organizing joint sessions during ICANN meetings and encouraging joint work/statements when that seemed possible.  I never thought it was my place to interject negative comments about ALAC's internal discussions and processes, no matter what I think of them.  In particular, I never would have thought to offer snide and biased misrepresentations of one faction or perspective in order to support another I happen to personally prefer.  That strikes me as going rather far beyond the call of duty, but I'm willing to reconsider if need be.  I'm sure I could think up lots of ripe things to say.

However we're going to proceed, I'd think the approach taken by liaisons should not be wildly asymmetrical.  If it's really necessary, perhaps we should work out a TOR?  This being ICANN, if you want we can even start from a presumption that sandbox antagonism must be the default state of affairs and formalize some bureaucratic constraints on it in collaboration with our respective chairs, the omsbuddy, the board, NTIA, or whomever else?

Best,

Bill