Question about NCUC faq relating to membership

Dan Krimm dan at MUSICUNBOUND.COM
Mon Nov 14 23:58:27 CET 2011

Alain,

There are billions of people on the planet, all of whom ultimately have a
stake in ICANN activities in some respect, but I don't expect hundreds of
thousands to participate in NCSG or ALAC.  It's not a matter of proportion
of representation, but rather of how many voices can participate in a
deliberative body such as this with any sort of effective communication
and interaction.  Just piling on members here does not necessarily
increase the quality or representativeness of our deliberations.

However, it might be effective in altering the voting balance within NCSG,
which would appear to be an important motive for NPOC.

As for Amber, I have no doubt she is participating in NPOC matters.  What
I was hoping was that she would participate here in general NCSG
discussions, as an NCSG member as well as an NPOC leader with authority to
speak to her constituency's policies and judgments.  It's a matter of SG
transparency and interchange, which is what this list is all about.
Silence does not elicit trust, and trust has considerable room for growth
right now.

Silence in fact sends an explicit message in this context.  One might well
consider whether that message is the one NPOC genuinely intends to be
sending at this moment through its leadership.

In any case, we'll obviously take that message at face value, in the
absence of information to the contrary.

Dan

--
Any opinions expressed in this message are those of the author alone and
do not necessarily reflect any position of the author's employer.