NCUC elections for Chair and EC

Robin Gross robin at IPJUSTICE.ORG
Mon Nov 14 23:30:19 CET 2011

It seems you misunderstand those emails below.  I had asked the constituency chairs to reconfirm appointments that had been made - about a month ago to you - since I was creating a new email list and needed to be sure I had the proper email addresses on the list.  I was not asking the constituency chairs to open-up a decision that had been made a month ago and potentially kick out new appointments that had been made a month ago to the NCSG.   Sorry if you thought this was a new call for new appointments and an opportunity to take one of those new appointments for yourself.   I don't think it is fair to criticize Konstantinos for not selecting you for one of the appointments since you had more than a year to do the job yourself already.

Robin

On Nov 14, 2011, at 2:04 PM, Avri Doria wrote:

> Dear fellow NCUC members, with apologies to NPOC members and Independent NCSG members,
>
> With the election upcoming, I want to bring up an issue related to the transparency in the NCUC.
>
> I tried to put this issue on the Dakar agenda but other issues were deemed to be of greater importance.  My concern stems from the appointments the NCUC has been making and the lack of participation and transparency in these appointments.
>
> Over the last half year, the NCUC Executive Committee allegedly made decisions about who to nominate for NCSG Chair and who to appoint to the NCSG-EC, the NCSG-PC and the NCSG-FC.  Yet there is no evidence of discussions having been held among the entire NCUC Executive Committee, let alone among the entire NCUC membership.  I have spoken to several NCUC EC members and none of the ones I spoke to were able to say that they were involved in such discussions.  I can only surmise that the NCUC Chair made the decisions on his own, perhaps in consultation with a few friends.  If I am wrong, I am sure the NCUC EC members who participated in these decisions should speak up. In any case, the issues were never brought to the membership.
>
> Just recently, there was a conversation in the NCUC-EC, which due to an archive having finally been made available, can be seen where:
>
> <http://mailman.ctyme.com/pipermail/ec-ncuc/2011-November/000121.html> Milton asks whether Konstantinos can make a public call before making any appointment final to the NCSG-EC, NCSG-PC and NCSG-FC
>
> <http://mailman.ctyme.com/pipermail/ec-ncuc/2011-November/000122.html> Konstantinos say that goes without saying.
>
> And yet there was never any outreach.  I wrote a private email to Konstantinos indicating my interest, but got back email saying the issue was closed.  Hence this note to the NCUC membership.  I think the way the NCUC is being run is problematic and am thus bringing the issue to the full discuss list.
>
> For full disclosure, I admit this bothers me for several reasons. One, as mentioned above, I would have liked for the NCUC to have considered me as a candidate for NCSG-EC or NCSG-PC and the fact that it was all done opaquely is disturbing on a personal level. I also expect that there are many NCUC members who might have asked to be considered for any of these tasks. But since a call never went out at any time, there were no volunteers. But more than the personal disappointment, which I reveal for full disclosure, I am very concerned that the NCUC is losing its democratic nature and is becoming a group controlled by a small handful of people in a non-transparent manner.

> [...]

IP JUSTICE
Robin Gross, Executive Director
p: +1-415-553-6261    f: +1-415-462-6451
w: http://www.ipjustice.org     e: robin at ipjustice.org