Seeking your comments: GNSO and ccNSO topics

Andrew A. Adams aaa at MEIJI.AC.JP
Thu Nov 10 01:17:31 CET 2011

> Dear all,
> As some of you may be aware, there are moves to strengthen the cooperation =
> between the ccNSO and GNSO. Ideas are being canvassed for suggestions on po=
> ssible areas for interaction. A question: would the issue of domain name ta=
> kedown might be a good one to suggest for joint ccNSO GNSO work? Especially=
>  given the recent Verisign episode, it is not just a ccTLD issue. Lots of d=
> ifferences between the GNSO and ccNSO but takedowns have some significant i=
> ssues in terms of the rights of registrants that would echo across both and=
>  likely to be of increasing focus =85..
> Thoughts?

With Nominet dealing with this in the UK as well, it's clear that there is
common ground between ccNSO and GNSO here. However, I am concerned that cc
delegates may be more easily influenced by censorship-happy governments and
that this might leave us with less protection for freedom of speech in the
generic name space than we might otherwise have.

Professor Andrew A Adams                      aaa at meiji.ac.jp
Professor at Graduate School of Business Administration,  and
Deputy Director of the Centre for Business Information Ethics
Meiji University, Tokyo, Japan       http://www.a-cubed.info/