NCUC agenda => NCSG Interest Groups

David Cake dave at DIFFERENCE.COM.AU
Sun Nov 6 23:11:54 CET 2011

	I see the interest groups being suggested now as very different to the Interest Groups that were suggested in the charter period.
	The Interest Groups suggested during the charter discussion, while they were relatively lightweight, flexible alternative to the more heavyweight, less flexible, Constituencies, were still formal internal structures within the NCSG. The Constituencies we have now are a compromise between the two ideas (and well done Avri etc for giving us relatively flexible Constituencies, even if so far we have taken little advantage of that potential for flexibility - eg limited cross-membership between NCUC and NPOC, despite that being permitted by the charter).
	What are being suggested now are more like informal working groups. Something that means we do not need to clutter the main NCSG list with detailed discussion of issues of interest only to a few, something that is not necessarily internal to the NCSG itself but can accommodate discussion of issues that extend beyond it. A practical way of working within the ICANN silo system, rather than yet another layer of it. Something with no formal role, but a practical one. I see no reason why we shouldn't experiment with informal ways of organising ourselves to be more effective.
	Regards
		David