NCUC agenda => NCSG Interest Groups

William Drake william.drake at UZH.CH
Sun Nov 6 15:16:17 CET 2011

Hi Avri

I don't recall that we saw IGs as formalized "structures" involving bureaucracy and silo-based identities, and I can't see the argument that not having noncom seats attached or Board benedictions would make them meaningless. They'd just be a way to do work and promote community around particular substantive interests in a non-ad hoc manner.  If for example we have eight members who have a particular interest in LEA/privacy issues or whatever and they're willing to put some time into monitoring developments and drafting public comments or inputs to GNSO WGs, having an identified group of colleagues to work with could increase the incentives to put time in, allow them to drill down deeper into the issues than the membership as a whole would care to, etc.  Starting one should involve zero drama; as we did on the ning, someone can say hey I'm interested in xyz who wants to join, and they do stuff for as long as it's interesting and useful, and stop when it no longer is.  I don't see how they could cause confusion or make things gothic, especially in comparison to constituencies.

Cheers,

Bill