[NCSG accountability] Nomination for NCUC Chair

Mary.Wong at LAW.UNH.EDU Mary.Wong at LAW.UNH.EDU
Wed Nov 23 17:17:15 CET 2011

Avri, Milton and everyone:

Without commenting on the specific issue that was raised but, rather, focusing on the general question of accountability and transparency within the community, I think it vitally important that all SG and constituency members feel able to ask for reasons, confirmation and other information without fear of being mocked or of being considered out of line. This is especially true now that the SG has many new members, including a new constituency, and many members rely on emails and the listserv to be informed about both substantive policy issues as well as the evolution and environment of the SG and its constituencies. Since only a minority of members actually have the opportunity to get to know one another offline and attend ICANN meetings, it's also critical that our main communications channel is a civil forum for robust debate, including on issues where there is a diversity of views or strong differences of opinion.

(BTW none of this is a criticism or comment about Milton or Avri, both of whom are well-able to handle robust forums of all types!)

Given the majority of our members' lack of familiarity with one another offline, it's likely (if unfortunate) that leadership nominations will go uncontested for the most part (unlike, say, for Council positions that are more numerous and require geographic diversity). As such, nominees for leadership positions should be prepared to receive and respond to requests for information by any individual member. Of course, it may be that at some point certain discussions need to be moved off-list, e.g. to individual/group emails, but it's important that until that happens our leaders and nominees for such positions can show that their actions and decisions are justified, made in full consultation with the relevant members (e.g. the EC in executive/administrative matters) and not arbitrarily taken.

Cheers
Mary

Mary W S Wong
Professor of Law
Chair, Graduate IP Programs
UNIVERSITY OF NEW HAMPSHIRE SCHOOL OF LAWTwo White StreetConcord, NH 03301USAEmail: mary.wong at law.unh.eduPhone: 1-603-513-5143Webpage: http://www.law.unh.edu/marywong/index.phpSelected writings available on the Social Science Research Network (SSRN) at: http://ssrn.com/author=437584
As of August 30, 2010, Franklin Pierce Law Center has affiliated with the University of New Hampshire and is now known as the University of New Hampshire School of Law. Please note that all email addresses have changed and now follow the convention: firstname.lastname at law.unh.edu. For more information on the University of New Hampshire School of Law, please visit law.unh.edu