Fwd: [ NNSquad ] Full Text of Manwin Lawsuit Against ICANN / ICM re .XXX

Nicolas Adam nickolas.adam at GMAIL.COM
Fri Nov 18 21:53:53 CET 2011

Of course, it seems as if most of their case rests on an
impossible-to-make argument about ICANN bowing to pressure or about ICM
misrepresentation, whereas those are not things that will necessarily
help them winning an antitrust case (both not sherman act tests if i'm
not mistaken).

But if true some of the things they say about the terms of the contract
makes me wonder about my endorsement of said contract on said terms.
Particularly the provisions about one-way termination, renewal, and
restriction on addition of new gTLD in the same market (sex).

Also, I still believe in the validity and wisdom of constraining
Registries'/Registrars' ability to market/commercialize new gTLDs as a
defensive scheme. If this is how ICANN sees this TLD enlargement, it
would not be getting my support.

Which brings me to comment on something separate but relevant: the
qualities of an eventual ICANN chairman.

Its first and most important quality should be: optimism in the
possibilities of the DNS and the concomitant refusal to see DNS as
(merely) a protection racket and a soon-to-be irrelevant addressing
scheme. One need not be naive (many technologies may replace DNS or make
it irrelevant in the not-so-distant future; that is not a given but
definitely a possibility), but optimistic -- and/or imaginative, if you
will.

I commented on Esther Dyson's lack of (amazingly for her) free market
imagination before, and it is precisely this that I meant. How can
someone chair ICANN and not be optimistic about the possibilities of DNS
evolution.

Nicolas