KASWESHA APPLICATION

Evan Leibovitch evan at TELLY.ORG
Fri Nov 18 17:44:43 CET 2011

> The solution  I think is for organizations that are not allowed into NCSG
> on this basis to be steered to At Large. Unfortunately, even that is not
> ideal because recognition as an ALS (At Large Structure) is more
> complicated than it needs to be, and AL does not accept individuals.

Part of the reason for the complexity of the process -- such as it is,
which I don't think is too bad (having done it myself) -- is to allow for
appropriate due dilligence (which is performed on every application).
The application
form<http://www.atlarge.icann.org/files/atlarge/als-application-form-en.doc>(which
can also be submitted in
French<http://www.atlarge.icann.org/files/atlarge/als-application-form-fr.doc>,
Spanish<http://www.atlarge.icann.org/files/atlarge/als-application-form-es.doc>,
Chinese<http://www.atlarge.icann.org/files/atlarge/als-application-form-si-zh.doc>,
Portuguese<http://www.atlarge.icann.org/files/atlarge/als-application-form-br-pt.doc>,
Russian<http://www.atlarge.icann.org/files/atlarge/als-application-form-ru.doc>and
Arabic<http://www.atlarge.icann.org/files/atlarge/als-application-form-ar.doc>--
ALS members don't need to speak English) is sent in and evaluated;
approval is fairly clear cut based on objective measures, by the local
region. Less than 4% of applications have been rejected to date.

As for individual membership, that is currently in place in North America
(recall that Wendy has served as ALAC liaison to the Board as an individual
member) and actively being investigated elsewhere; there is a certain
amount of regional autonomy on internal structure.

- Evan