NomCom Update

Maria Farrell maria.farrell at GMAIL.COM
Wed Nov 16 20:01:01 CET 2011

Dear NCSG colleagues,

I'm sorry but I had to drop off our monthly call, as luck would have it,
just minutes before my slot at the very end. Here is a quick update on all
things NomCom. Please feel free to fire questions or suggestions via the
list.

NomCom 2012 has just started with its new Chair, Vanda Scartezini. The new
system has the next two chairs appointed by a Board subcommittee every
second year, so the chair elect of the 2013 committee, Rob Hall, is also on
this year's committee (nonvoting).

The committee page has not yet been updated http://nomcom.icann.org, but it
should be very soon, so check back there for dates of applications,
committee membership, etc.  Also, we've decided to continue the idea of
nomcom having its own blog; http://icannnomcom.wordpress.com/ This'll be
the permanent address, rather than a new blog for each year.

Some work is also being done on updating the way we ask people to apply -
see Vanda's email to this group, via Konstantinos, last week.

This year's nomcom has the following positions to fill:

3 Board seats, of which at least one must be from Latin America / Caribbean
(that can be fulfilled via re-appointment of an expiring nomcom appointee).
To see who's on the Board & by which selection method:
http://www.icann.org/en/general/board.html

1 GNSO

2 ALAC - one European and one North American.

1 ccNSO

I have 2 roles on the nomcom - as does everyone else on it: recruitment and
selection. Lots of people think all nomcom does is select from the
individuals who apply. But actually, the recruiting phase is the most
important as that's how we ensure as big a possible pool of well-qualified
candidates.

So, here's the 'call to action'. Can you please think about people in your
networks who would be great for the positions above? One thing that is
really critical for me is to have senior nonprofit people applying for
Board positions. If they don't apply, they can't be chosen.

A message that the past couple of nomcoms have been given from various
people in the community is that we need to have Board directors who have
experience in large, international organisations. (I believe we need a lot
of different types of people on the Board, but it's true that nomcom can
provide people who wouldn't otherwise find their way there.) I really hope
NCSG people can beat the bushes and encourage impressive candidates to
apply.

On the GNSO side, I think the biggest challenge is to find people who are
knowledgeable or at least skillful and can hit the ground running, but are
not tied into one of the interest groups there already, upsetting the
balance of power. This is incredibly hard to find, but it's our job, so
please think of people who may fit the bill.

I don't have anything particularly useful to add on what is needed for
ccNSO and ALAC, other than what I've been told; people who can rub along
well and, above all, who can draft and do constructive committee work.

If you think of someone, feel free to encourage them to email me for more
information or to send them to the official NomCom ICANN page or Nomcom
blog.

Finally... if you are going to an event or conference where there may be
good potential candidates for this year's positions, we can get you some
flyers and bookmarks / business cards with summary info you can hand out to
people. Just let me know and I will help to get it organised.

All the best, Maria