[NCUC elections] NCUC South American EC nomination

Carlos Affonso Pereira de Souza caffsouza at GMAIL.COM
Tue Nov 22 18:21:21 CET 2011

Hi everyone:

I would like to nominate Carlos Afonso, from NUPEF (Brazil), for the
NCUC's EC as representative for South America. Most of you know him, I
am quite sure, but let's do it properly: Carlos is a longtime member
of NCUC and councillor for the third sector in the Brazilian Internet
Steering Committee (CGI.BR). He is a co-founder of APC (back in 1990)
and has played an important role in implementing and democratizing
access to the internet in Brazil. For his contribution to the
fostering of Internet in the Latin America and the Caribean region,
LACNIC has granted him the Trajetoria Award in 2010. Carlos' technical
expertise is only rivaled by his (sometimes awkward) sense of humor.
He is not my Dad. I am confident that Carlos Afonso will be a great
representative for the region (as he has been in the past) and able to
provide expert advice in a number of key issues for NCUC in the coming
year.

More about NUPEF: http://www.nupef.org.br/?q=node/80
More about Carlos:
http://icannwiki.com/index.php?title=Carlos_Afonso&diff=prev&oldid=32577
More about the Trajetoria award:
http://lacnic.net/pt/anuncios/2010_trayectoria.html
A video on the CGI.br's Principles of Internet Governance:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3E1rKnZ9-6U

As a retiring SA EC councillor for this term, let me just say that it
has been a pleasure to act on the EC. This year we have managed to put
up a great event in ICANN's San Francisco meeting, creating a good
opportunity for communicating (and debate) some of the relevant
non-commercial internet users demands. I hope we manage to keep up the
constructive debate on 2012, improving the non-commercial
representation in the internet governance fora.

Best,
Carlos Affonso