Fw: [NCSG-Discuss] beyond take down

Milton L Mueller mueller at SYR.EDU
Mon Nov 21 02:07:33 CET 2011

-----Original message-----
From: Timothe Litt <litt at acm.org>
To: Milton L Mueller <mueller at syr.edu>
Sent: Sun, Nov 20, 2011 17:37:39 GMT+00:00
Subject: RE: [NCSG-Discuss] beyond take down

Does anyone on this list know more about the way BIND is being amended to allow the “rewriting” of DNS answers? Jorge? Timothe?

Yes.  Recent versions of BIND (starting I think with 9.8) have a feature called RPZ = Response Policy Zone.  It is rather controversial.

The intent was to make it possible for enterprise customers to block websites (and other protocols relying on DNS) according to some policy - typically known malware and/or non-work sites.  It doesn't work with DNSSEC.  It has some potential for abuse by ISPs.  As ISC tells the story, this was implemented because of (bind) customer demand, not because ISC thinks it's a good idea.

Here are some references:

http://www.isc.org/community/blog/201007/taking-back-dns-0

http://www.isc.org/files/TakingBackTheDNSrpz2.pdf

http://www.isc.org/community/blog/201103/blocking-dns

I will refrain from editorial comment - except to note that DNS is not a particularly good place to implement a blocking policy.

Timothe Litt
ACM Distinguished Engineer
if any, on the matters discussed.