Example of Reverse Domain Name HIjacking Attempt

Konstantinos Komaitis k.komaitis at STRATH.AC.UK
Thu May 12 16:03:47 CEST 2011

Thanks for this Andrew. In theory, this case should be very straightforward and the panel should dismiss it on the basis that the complaint cannot establish that the .org site lacked rights or legitimate interests. I did a quick WHOIS search and I saw that the .org site was registered in 2006, whilst the .com was registered in 2004. This means that for the past 5 years, the .org site has been conducting its representation and advocacy through the particular site and has therefore been commonly known by it. So, under the UDRP, the panel should straightforwardly justify the legitimate interests of the .org site under the following provision: (ii) you (as an individual, business, or other organization) have been commonly known by the domain name, even if you have acquired no trademark or service mark rights;

I don't think that the panel will find RDNH (they rarely do, despite the bullying and intimidation that takes place by trademark owners), but they should definitely rule in favour of the .org site.

Please, let this list or myself know about the outcome of the case - if the panel rules against the .org site, this is something that we need to address publicly and create some voice.

Thanks

KK

Dr. Konstantinos Komaitis,

Law Lecturer,
Director of Postgraduate Instructional Courses
Director of LLM Information Technology and Telecommunications Law
University of Strathclyde,
The Law School,
Graham Hills building,
50 George Street, Glasgow G1 1BA