Tom Morris takes on xxx

Dan Krimm dan at MUSICUNBOUND.COM
Fri Mar 25 05:18:00 CET 2011

Yeah, and that establishment of smoke-free zones is what I was talking about.

If OTOH Marc is talking about actual taxing of cigarettes, that may be
about external health effects (measured by health care costs) as opposed to
the simple annoyance factor.

In any case, I take a purely utilitarian view toward these policies,
completely devoid of "moral" content.  Which was really my point to Marc:
not all policies are about morality, even if/when morality is sometimes
used to sell the policies to a general public (which is indeed quite
common, but that's driven by "what works" in public discourse as opposed to
any intent to justify policy rationally -- I think it's useful to
distinguish these things).

Dan

--
Any opinions expressed in this message are those of the author alone and do
not necessarily reflect any position of the author's employer.