Tom Morris takes on xxx

Andrew A. Adams aaa at MEIJI.AC.JP
Tue Mar 22 15:16:39 CET 2011

> I have to question a basic premise of the XXX "child porn" enforcement cost=
> s. Since child porn is illegal and you go to jail for that, why would you t=
> hink they would pay 7x as much for a domain under .xxx where they would be =
> caught? Seems to me the last place you'd find a child molester is with an x=
> xx domain. Does anyone thing they are going to register child-molester.xxx?
>
> The porn work and child molesting are two different worlds. They are as dif=
> ferent as pot smokers and heroine addicts. If I were looking for child mole=
> ster I would think that something like .info, which spammers seem to like, =
> would be the place to go and it would only be promoted withing the group. A=
>  .xxx is like inviting the cops to your house.
>
> So - I have to question if .xxx enforcement is a waste of money.
>
> The reason I'm making these arguments is that if ICANN starts becoming the =
> "moral police" or an extension of law enforcement then that's a slippery sl=
> ope. If porn is "immoral" then is being a Realist (Atheist) immoral? In man=
> y countries I would be executed for my non-belief because I choose reality =
> first.

Will the income stream from .xxx be put towards general efforts to attacking
the availability of sex abuse images online, not just within .xxx? Or is it
proposed that it is only within .xxx that this activity will take place?

Professor Andrew A Adams                      aaa at meiji.ac.jp
Professor at Graduate School of Business Administration,  and
Deputy Director of the Centre for Business Information Ethics
Meiji University, Tokyo, Japan       http://www.a-cubed.info/