ICANN Responds to GAC

Tapani Tarvainen ncuc at TAPANI.TARVAINEN.INFO
Mon Mar 7 07:52:07 CET 2011

On Mon, Mar 07, 2011 at 01:29:36AM -0500, Milton L Mueller (mueller at SYR.EDU) wrote:

> Can you point me to the international law that says only the
> Peruvian government has a legal right to register the name "Peru" in
> the domain name space?

Amusingly, "peru" is a word in Finnish, or actually two:
as a noun it means "potato" in a number of dialects (abbreviated
from "peruna" in standard Finnish), and as a verb it means "cancel".
A bit more relevant, e.g., "peru.org" and "peru.fi" belong to US and
Finnish companies, respectively, selling travels to Peru, and
I doubt they've asked permission from Peruvian government either.

--
Tapani Tarvainen