ICANN Responds to GAC

Nicolas Adam nickolas.adam at GMAIL.COM
Sun Mar 6 20:02:37 CET 2011

I have to say that except a few points,  i agree with how the Board
classified GAC's requests.

Point 5 on the integration of registries and registrars:

My beef with institutionalizing a market [no market can ever be deemed
pre-political, pre-cultural or pre-legal, so ... a market always is
institutionnalized ==> that should take care of
"regulation/anti-regulations" debates] where the rules of the game favor
integration is that, under the actual terms of national competition
laws, "market power" is a theoretical impossibility.

IMHO, as a general rule but the devil is in the details, for the markets
with amazingly complex and extended value chains
==> let's just try a market devoid of the "power" variable for a change,
and see what it would get us.

In my mind, that would be true "laisser faire", while the usual "laisser
faire" [i.e. enabling integration] is in fact more about letting
competition use other strategical assets [such as power] than just cost,
price, productivity, and performance. This analysis can be showed wrong
for some particular markets, and maybe names and numbers are such a
market...  I will admit that i have spent less time thinking about the
particular integration impact of registry and registrar operations then
i have for other markets (i.e. telecommunications services markets), and
I will welcome your references on this point.

In any case, except for this view of mine which i don't expect to be
shared accross NCUC members, i have to say that i find myself well
represented by the Board in its answer to the GAC.

Some other points:

6.2.1 if the timeframe for a responding party is too short already.
Don't know about that.

Not sure what to think about  6.2.5 either. However, the Board's
consistent 2s in the 6.2.x issues are commendable.

6.2.10.1 is outright funny ;)

I am uneasy with some compromises (e.g. 6.4.2) but ...

Nicolas