a concern regarding the ncuc event program

Carlos A. Afonso ca at CAFONSO.CA
Tue Mar 1 13:34:52 CET 2011

Dear people,

I have expressed my concern to the organizers regarding one of the
panels of the NCUC event "NCUC at ICANN: Internet Governance & the Global
Public Interest Policy Conference" (The Westin St. Francis Hotel, San
Francisco, Friday, Mar 11 2011 8:30 AM ):

http://www.amiando.com/ncucaticann.html

The panel in question is the following:

---------------------------
[ 10:45 - 12:00 ]  Developing Countries and Global Internet Governance

To what extent has ICANN addressed the unique concerns and promoted the
participation of developing country stakeholders? How do developing
country governments' experiences with and attitudes toward ICANN affect
the larger geopolitics of Internet governance, such as their continuing
pressure in the United Nations for a new intergovernmental body that
would have "oversight" of ICANN? What do these dynamics mean for the
global public interest, and for the priorities of noncommercial users?

William Drake, University of Zurich, and NCUC GNSO Councilor (session
chair)
Avri Doria, LuleƄ University of Technology, and NCSG Chair
Rafik Dammak, University of Tokyo, and NCSG GNSO Councilor
Markus Kummer, Internet Society and former Executive Coordinator of the
UN's Internet Governance Forum
---------------------------

The full program can be retrieved here:

http://www.amiando.com/ncucaticann.html?page=488184

My concern is that it is unbalanced regarding the expressions of the
"developing countries". If you share this concern, could you help
suggesting more names from the South which could be added (if the
organizers agree, of course), and who will certainly be in San Fran by
March 11th?

I understand it should be a person who is closely
following/participating in the international IG debate from civil
society's perspective.

Just in case, I am out of question as I am not following the
issues/events/processes as closely as I should. Some very good people (I
can think of Alice from Kenya) will not arrive on time. Not sure about
Alex Gakuru's schedule though -- just to give a few examples of names.

It may help to take a look at the current list of registered participants:

https://www.registration123.com/reports/saved.cfm?r=%24*%40L%26V0%20%20%0A

Or maybe I am way out of my "jurisdiction" here... :)

[]s fraternos

--c.a.