The Purpose of Constituencies?

EC Carolan eccarolan at HOTMAIL.COM
Thu Jun 30 19:32:13 CEST 2011

It is my view that Academia is beholden to Commercial interests at this time, 2011.

-----Original Message-----
From: Nicolas Adam <nickolas.adam at GMAIL.COM>
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2011 17:05:55
To: <NCSG-NCUC-DISCUSS at LISTSERV.SYR.EDU>
Subject: Re: The Purpose of Constituencies?

Dear all,

 Please forgive this cat-naming exercise. I was never much the quiet
 diplomat.

 It seems to me that, in the abstract, Milton is very much right.
 However, it seems we lost that fight already, and i guess it did cost us
 a true NC seat on the Board. (I could be wrong here, as no one answered
 my frustrated questions about this episode and i did not have time to
 pursue the info on my own.) It seems that commercial interests creeping
 in NCSG will now be the name of the game. So, what to do?

 Re-investing those constituencies that might be temporarily aligned with
 traditional commercial interest seems like the natural way to evolve. I
 would much rather people from operational academics circles join NPOC
 than to have them form another constituency. Same goes for academic
 groupings such as Giganet. Mobilization, has always been the last and
 most important determinant of politics.

 I would also caution against more fragmentation. This caution is based
 on the argument already made by Milton, Andrew and a few others. Even
 taking into account Avri's pragmatic points, I would suggest that unless
 there are clear, short or mid term political necessities, I would
 refrain from playing this constituency game which will inevitably drain
 our time and energy. If you all tell me that the financial structure
 counts as one such mid-term necessity, then i will defer to your
 evaluation. The argument revolves around the necessity of restructuring
 budget allocation, and the necessity to do it by means of
 constituencies. If it is not absolutely essential, or if there are other
 ways to go about it, i would caution against forming more constituencies.

 Respectfully,

 Nicolas