Questions for The Board-NCSG meeting

William Drake william.drake at UZH.CH
Wed Jun 8 22:19:22 CEST 2011

Hi,

On Jun 8, 2011, at 7:34 PM, Desiree Miloshevic wrote:

> If we are asking the Board to tell us if they can see government's reps better integrated in the MS model, then NCSG should also have a concrete suggestion or two?

There were a couple concrete suggestions in SF, e.g. establishing a joint GNSO/GAC group to consider options for earlier/better communication & coordination, establishing liaisons between GAC and GNSO SGs, etc.  But with bandwidth scarce and energies focused on scorecarding and whether or not ICANN should be planning a launch party in Singapore, there's not been much focused discussion of follow up.  Maybe it can reboot in the run up to Dakar, and I'd certainly be interested in working on fostering NC/GAC dialogue in that context, but GAC's persistent emphasizing of its operational constraints with respect to participating in joint work and its board-centric orientation are obviously significant hurdles to overcome.

In any event, this discussion about word smithing questions has pointed to some interesting issues here that merit further discussion here and in Singapore.

FWIW at this late stage, my 3 preferences on questions would be:

*To rework Brenden's suggestion slightly, from "Is the current GAC model consistent with the ICANN bottom-up, multistakeholder policy making model? Can the Board see government representatives becoming more integrated in this model? If so, how?" to something like "How well does the current GAC model mesh with the ICANN bottom-up, multistakeholder policy development processes?  Are there any specific areas of tension between the two, and if so how can these be managed?  What specific steps could be taken to promote better communication & coordination, given GAC's professed constraints with respect to collective and individual government participation in multistakeholder processes?"

*"How can ICANN enhance its engagement with developing and transitional countries?  What procedural/institutional improvements could be envisioned to increase the effective participation of governments and other stakeholders from these countries?  How can we increase the development-sensitivity of ICANN policy outputs, including but not only with respect to new gTLD applicant support?"

*Mary's "While understanding that the NCSG Stakeholder Group charter is waiting on the approval of the standardized New  Constituency process recommended by the Structural Improvements Committee, we would like to understand what issues, if any, may be blocking Board approval of both the New Constituency Process and the NCSG Stakeholder Group charter."

Personally, I don't see the point of us spending our limited question time with the board on community working groups when it's clear the GNSO Council will be probing this issue with them anyway.  Why not just weigh in in that discussion, particularly since it's likely that what they're going to hear from other SGs reps will be rather different, both on the general matter and on JAS, and it'd be good to underscore that constituencies/SGs are not all of one mind on this.

Three cents,

Bill