Questions for The Board-NCSG meeting

Desiree Miloshevic dmiloshevic at AFILIAS.INFO
Tue Jun 7 21:10:54 CEST 2011

On 7 Jun 2011, at 14:25, Brenden Kuerbis wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 6, 2011 at 11:57 PM, <Mary.Wong at law.unh.edu> wrote:
> Thanks, Avri. My vote would be for (1) the expanding role of GAC in
> ICANN and implications arising therefrom;
>

> I agree this would be a good topic of discussion. However, I would
> like the question to be a bit more provocative and open-ended. What
> I don't want to hear in reply is e.g., "the GAC's advice is an
> important part of our decision making, we take their advice
> seriously and balance it with other stakeholders and the policy
> making process, blah..."
>
> E.g., we could ask,  "Is the current GAC model consistent with the
> ICANN bottom-up, multistakeholder policy making model?  Can the
> Board see government representatives becoming more integrated in
> this model? If so, how?"
>
> My .02

I do like your suggestion to see how current GAC model can be
improved, (e.g. how can GAC  get involved much earlier in any PDP
process)
but I would not ask if the current GAC model is consistent with the
ICANN bottom-up multi-stakeholder policy making model, because,
according to the bylaws, it is.
So I would not be provocative, but it's up to everyone to say what
they think works better.

OTOH, we know the answers... that GAC has a limited bandwidth and some
SO and WGs brief GAC better than others.
Perhaps  GAC's new secretariat is only one part of that improvement.

Desiree