[NCSG-NCUC-DISCUSS] [ncsg-policy] Proposed NCUC Comments on the WHOIS Review Team Discussion Paper

Norbert Klein nhklein at GMX.NET
Sun Jul 24 02:39:33 CEST 2011

On 7/23/2011 11:58 PM, Nuno Garcia wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> [snip]
>
> If a domain name is public, so it should be its registrants info. I
> suggest that if the registrant info cannot be confirmed, then the
> register should be voided.

I cannot follow here - I do not see the logic: I have registred two
phone numbers - one fixed line, one mobile. Both are "publicly known" -
I give it to friends, colleagues share it with others. But those who
know my number do not know where I live, what other consumer habits I
have etc. Only the phone companies where I have registered know my
street address, in order to catch me in case I have not paid my bill, or
they want to inform me about some service changes etc. And in case there
should have been a crime involving my phone number, there are legal
procedures by which the law enforcement agents may get access to my
contact information.

You do not define what you mean when you say that the registrant's info
should be "public" - and it sounds as if this means (as some
organizations and people would like to have it) freely available to
everyone. Why? The phone company - or the agency registering a domain -
need it. Nobody else in the "public."

Norbert Klein

--
A while ago, I started a new blog:

...thinking it over... after 21 years in Cambodia
http://www.thinking21.org/

continuing to share reports and comments from Cambodia.

Norbert Klein
nhklein at gmx.net
Phnom Penh / Cambodia