[ncsg-policy] Proposed NCUC Comments on the WHOIS Review Team Discussion Paper

Timothe Litt litt at ACM.ORG
Thu Jul 21 14:17:17 CEST 2011

Although I support most of the proposed comments, I disagree with
recommendation 14.

As an individual registrant, I agree that proxy services are useful and
should be accepted.  I am as uncomfortable as anyone with publishing my
physical address, telephone number and direct e-mail.  I can certainly
understand why my discomfort could be someone else's physical danger -
consider those who are supposed to be protected against violence by court
order, or live in countries where protection of law is problematic.  And
because I use unique e-mail and postal addresses for my contact information,
there is no question of the fact that I have received non-trivial quantities
of e-mail and postal spam that could only have been sourced from my WHOIS
listings.  Dealing with that can be more than annoying - I haven't fallen
victim to the official looking "renewal bills" scams, but I know people who
have.

On the other hand, proper operation of the network does require that it be
possible to reach the persons responsible for the devices/services connected
to it.  It must be possible to contact postmaster & abuse for assistance
stopping spam - and to notify server operators of inappropriate  behavior of
their systems (and sometimes people).  Whether it's the fact that a bad
actor has made them part of a botnet, a hardware failure is causing routing
issues, a subscriber is harassing a family member, or the fact that a
service is down - it really is important to be able to reach the responsible
person(s).  And being able to track back to  the country/ISP can be a useful
tool for tuning some firewalls when under attack.  Note that while
postmaster/abuse are required by RFC for those who operate mail servers, not
all domains do.  Whois is the only 'guaranteed' means of contacting the
owner of any domain/ip address.

This is not limited to non-commercial sites, though it is particularly
difficult for non-commercial users to get through - I've had recent
difficulties contacting several fortune 50 companies via their whois -
though they have the resources to be responsible actors.

Given that, it seems to me that it is appropriate to require that
registrants provide accurate and effective contact information - proxies
being acceptable so long as the delay through the proxy is reasonable.
(Say, minutes thru e-mail, and a first-class/registered letter 1 business
day + 1 additional first-class delivery time.)  Some standards for proxies
maintaining the confidentiality of information provided would also be
helpful - individual consumers certainly have less ability to
evaluate/influence service providers than ICANN does.  There is no reason
that a proxy has to be in a registrants country - this can be important in
keeping people safe from bad 'governmental' actors.

I would support not requiring the publication of telephone numbers for
individual/small registrants.  Not all of us have them, many people now have
just mobile services, time zones make use problematic (especially where
accurate geographical information is not provided) and telephone provides
another vector for harassment.  Requiring either telephone or e-mail would
be acceptable - as timely communication is required, and some people have
only one or the other.

However, where I disagree is the notion of accepting fraudulent or no
contact information.  This is unacceptable.  Contact information is not just
a matter of protecting domain name ownership, despite the fact that ICANN
and this group seem to reduce all issues to that issue.  When one registers
a domain name, one becomes part of the network and takes responsibility for
all services delivered from that name.  Providing contact information is
critical for others to provide feedback on (and often help with) discharging
those responsibilities.

This is clearly more of an issue for those who operate their own servers
(routers, etc) - but those who don't still have a responsibility to pick
vendors who operate responsibly and respond to issues.  So I believe that
even individuals who just use their domains for websites/email and outsource
their services to their ISP or other third party must be reachable via Whois
data.

Privacy is a serious issue for me - and many others.  Proxy services provide
a reasonable compromise between the need for privacy and the need for
everyone to cooperate in providing a stable network.  Standards and rules
for those services is a reasonable subject for discussion - and the
non-commercial (especially small/individual) registrant would gain
considerably by unified actions to get them.  However, fraudulent/blank
contact information is not something we should endorse, encourage or
tolerate.

Given the acceptance of proxy services, I see no reason to protect domain
registrants who provide invalid contact information in whois from action
under UDRP.  Rather, it's one bit of leverage that the community has to
encourage accurate contact information.  Naturally, honest errors that are
quickly resolved and failures of proxy services to deliver should not be
held against the registrant.  Exactly how that's defined is another project
- though the latter would be facilitated by standards for proxy services and
a means for a registrant to identify proxy providers audited to those
standards.

As for postal verification - isn't it as simple as sending a postcard with a
verification code to the registrant, and requiring that the code be returned
by e-mail or website within a reasonable time?  If the address is valid, the
postcard goes through.  If not, obviously the channel is not reliable...

I hope that the proposed comments can be refined to incorporate these
observations.

Timothe Litt
ACM Distinguished Engineer
if any, on the matters discussed.