Proposed Consumer Constituency Charter - comments?

Dan Krimm dan at MUSICUNBOUND.COM
Tue Jul 5 22:22:12 CEST 2011

Beau,

This is a little puzzling to me:

> ... privacy
> [defined within the ICANN scope as registration abuse, safety, and
> stability]; WHOIS;

Is there a place in the CC for individual domain registrants, and
consideration of protection of privacy of personal registrant data in the
WHOIS database?

Some registrars offer a proxy level of privacy, but this is not ICANN
policy per se.  This is not just a free speech issue (protection of
anonymous speech), but also an issue of being harassed personally by
private entities like marketers/data-miners, identity thieves, stalkers,
etc.

While it may be less common right now for "garden-variety individual
consumers" to own 2LDs, speaking as one myself this may well become more
prevalent over time, if more consumers start seeing the advantages of
having a personal email and/or web domain (cloud-mail without giving your
data to Google, for example).

Am I welcome in your constituency as a personal, individual 2LD owner
without a corporate shield who wants to protect my personal data privacy
in the WHOIS DB?  I certainly feel mostly like a "consumer" -- certainly
not a "small business" (while my 2LD is in the .com TLD, I don't use it
for commercial purposes, and I am an individual NCUC/NCSG member).

Thanks,
Dan

--
Any opinions expressed in this message are those of the author alone and
do not necessarily reflect any position of the author's employer.