FW: NCUC delegate to the 2012 Nominating Committee

Konstantinos Komaitis k.komaitis at STRATH.AC.UK
Wed Jul 20 10:36:50 CEST 2011

Dear all,

We have to nominate someone from the NCUC to the nominating committee. Maria Farrell was our representative during this year and I would like to nominate her for another term. Maria has been fantastic as our rep in the NonCom.

As well as being a contributing member of the committee with good attendance and participation, she helped the committee improve its openness and transparency. While some of the nomcom's work (assessing candidates) needs to be confidential, there was scope to be less secretive about the timings and process as a whole. Maria set up the nomcom blog (http://icann2011nomcom.wordpress.com/) to increase awareness. She worked with the Chair of this year's Nomcom, Adam Peake, to use that blog and also the main ICANN blog to keep the community more up to date than previous nomcoms have on what the committee does. She also blogged about the committee's work at www.mariafarrell.com and www.crookedtimber.org.

Maria worked with other key committee members to encourage women to apply, as the tiny numbers the previous year were very troubling. She was successful in more than doubling the number of women candidates by using targeted outreach, public forums and the blogs.
Finally, although nomcom members' responsibility is to the organisation as a whole, and not their appointing group, Maria did an excellent job in ensuring that we nominated candidates whose backgrounds and views are from a wide range of the community.

If I don't hear any objection by July 29, 2011, I will submit Maria's name as NCUC's NonCom rep.

KK

Dr. Konstantinos Komaitis,

Senior Lecturer,
Director of Postgraduate Instructional Courses
Director of LLM Information Technology and Telecommunications Law
University of Strathclyde,
The Law School,
Graham Hills building,
50 George Street, Glasgow G1 1BA