ICANN fellowship round opens for Jordan meeting (deadline to apply: 26 Feb)

Amr Elsadr aelsadr at TELEMEDINT.NET
Tue Jan 18 15:31:53 CET 2011

Hey Robin..., I will be attending the SF meeting as a fellowship
participant. This will be my third and final participation as a fellow and
it would be great to see more NCSG members attend meetings as fellows for
sure. It would also be great to see more participation from seasoned NCSG
members with the fellowship program in general. I am actually specifically
referring to the morning meetings the fellows have on a daily basis during
the course of ICANN meetings.

Community members as well as staff attend these meetings on a regular basis
to engage with the fellow participants (most who are relatively new to
ICANN). This attendance serves two purposes I am aware of; one to assist in
the capacity building and general understanding for ICANN newbies on what
the structure of the community is like and how it works, and secondly, these
meetings are probably a worthwhile place to go to if you're interested in
recruiting new members to a stakeholder group. I've attended the Seoul and
Nairobi meetings with the fellowship program, and we had speakers during the
morning meetings from GAC, NomCom, ccNSO, ALAC, as well as staff members,
but none from the NCSG or gNSO.

This time around, there seems to be a new "feature" to the fellowship
program, which I believe (but am not yet sure of) is a sort of mentoring
program where a fellow gets to shadow a community member for the duration of
the meeting. I requested to shadow someone from the NCUC, and I think that
it is worth noting that had we had a speaker from the NCUC at a fellowship
meeting back in Seoul or Nairobi, I probably would have joined this
constituency a lot earlier than I actually did.

Thanks.

Amr Elsadr M.D.

Chief Operating Officer

Tele-Med International