discussion on xxx domain? [ncsg-policy] Draft NCSG comments to GNSO Council on Rec 6

Dan Krimm dan at MUSICUNBOUND.COM
Sat Jan 15 20:25:04 CET 2011

Hi Caroline,

I'm sympathetic to many of your views generally (especially that there is
harm that can come of some x-rated content, though I believe there is
definitely a realm of x-rated content that does not necessarily constitute
"pornography" at least in some cultures [i.e., as long as participation is
entirely at the knowledgeable discretion of the participant -- not
everything erotic is pornographic in all cultures or subcultures] -- but we
are utterly not going to resolve that question here!), but I think maybe
you ask too much of ICANN per se as a governing body.

I'm dubious of the idea of defining a single global governing body that has
real jurisdiction over content on the Internet, and I don't think ICANN
should be any such body or have any such jurisdiction.  I would make every
attempt to push such matters completely out of ICANN's consideration,
specifically because it will not be capable of arriving at a resolution
that is acceptable to all societies/governments/cultures.

ICANN emerged as a purely technical-standards organization, dedicated to
preventing the Internet from breaking in a technical sense.  The very idea
that all of these post-technical considerations should get into the
discussion of DNS at all is one that many members of NCUC (and now NCSG)
have been opposing since its inception.

The debate about .xxx has been multifaceted, but if there is a "legitimate"
point of entry I think it has been whether "xxx" itself as a *character
string* is "offensive" (completely separate from the question of what the
*use* of the TLD might be).  I am with the camp that considers a TLD per se
(as a character string) to be treated not as a "message" but as an
"address" only.  What happens at that address is a separate issue, and one
that I would like to see ICANN avoid getting involved with if at all
possible.

If individual governments or communities want to deal with a .xxx TLD in a
restrictive manner, that is their business and I'm not sure I have a clear
opinion on it, myself.  But I sure don't want a "consensus content policy"
to be defined according to a least common denominator (LCD).  For example,
I don't want repressive authoritarian governments to set standards for
political speech, and I don't want extreme fundamentalist religious
institutions to set standards for moral speech, etc.

But most of all, I don't want ICANN to get involved in matters of speech at
all, partly because of the threat that it could lead to exactly the LCD
standards noted just above (not to mention trademark issues which I also
think should be none of ICANN's business, aside from explicitly defining
the matter as outside its jurisdiction, perhaps providing protocols that
point to legitimate jurisdictions for addressing trademark disputes).

So of the two choices you offer at the end, below, I would gravitate toward
the latter, except that I wouldn't support the idea of a *single*
"structure that WILL be concerned with content on the web" but rather allow
that to continue to be distributed among the various sovereign
jurisdictions.  At best, I could see some sort of umbrella institution that
allows these various jurisdictions to communicate with each other in a
coordinated fashion, without taking any "meta-jurisdiction" over them,
other than to set rules of discourse and engagement when discussing content
issues.

If at some point in the fantasy future we end up without separate nations
in a single global government with unified global jurisdiction over
everything, perhaps there will be some unified structure to deal with this
stuff, but I see no reason to put the cart before the horse here.  Let that
happen first before we start creating ad hoc global structures with any
real clout to address the parameters of speech on this communication
platform.

The danger that many have seen here with ICANN is that some narrow
interests will seek to use ICANN to take control over content policy
(whether it has to do with "morality and order" or trademark disputes)
*without* a genuinely representative and accountable governance structure,
both in principle and in practice.  Personally, I am very dubious that
ICANN can construct a governance structure with the requisite
representational breadth and equity to do justice to any consideration of
content issues on the Internet.

I vote for keeping ICANN's jurisdiction as purely technically-focused as
possible.  The fact that there is any confusion on this subject at all is a
reflection of the efforts of entities that wish to involve ICANN in
content-related issues (perhaps to hijack its loose governance processes to
their narrow agendas), and the failure of those in opposition to completely
push back at this encroachment over the lifetime of ICANN's existence.
That's why this issue remains an ongoing debate at ICANN.

Dan

--
Any opinions expressed in this message are those of the author alone and do
not necessarily reflect any position of the author's employer.