discussion on xxx domain? [ncsg-policy] Draft NCSG comments to GNSO Council on Rec 6

Rudi Rusdiah rusdiah at RAD.NET.ID
Thu Jan 13 02:59:27 CET 2011

dear folks, dwi and friends:

interesting discussions on xxx domain... by the way i am also from
indonesia...but from NGO... association of internet cafe...
probably sex is view very differently in Indonesia and in global
governance community...

in indonesia anything to do with sex... just to say sex is almost
taboo... not halal... so that the government launch a program internet
sehat and filter all sex content... and this week asked BB (blackberry)
to install also filter in its server in RIM (Canada) from Indonesian BB
users...
Actually for us as private sector... this is not an easy task... and
probably wont be successful... but it is a nice try to prevent
pornography...
on the otherhand pornography is also exist in many places in Indonesia..
such as SPA, massage parlour... and prostitute site... but the
government seems to close their attentions...

anyway... back to xxx domain...

according to my view... as part of Indonesian civil association...  this
is an attempt to localized the sex domain... the same thing as we
localize prostitutions... so should be OK... and probably make live
easier for filtering content (kids access to internet).

whether the site will be used for negative used... child abuse and so
on... this is another issue that will be tackle by existing (global)
cyberlaw... Indonesia also has now cyberlaw (we called it UU ITE Law no
11/2009 :-) ...that lacks of PP ( or supporting law to implement the
cyberlaw...

nice discussions and very good input for the global internet
governance... regards, rudi rusdiah - apwkomitel ( association of
community internet center - jakarta, indonesia).