[ncsg-policy] Transparency and the negotiations between the Board and the GAC on new gTLDs

Konstantinos Komaitis k.komaitis at STRATH.AC.UK
Sun Jan 9 13:57:52 CET 2011

I also support and strongly encourage that we support this petition. There are many issues why this is important - the most important is transparency. We need to remember that the issues that will be discussed at this meeting constitute part of previous discussions and resolutions by multi-stakeholder working groups and teams within ICANN and ones that the community has accepted (at least the majority of the community). It is quite disconcerting that aspect of this whole process, which is so close to fruition, appears to be dependent on this very meeting and that this very meeting will not be open to all interested parties. and, given that this meeting is so close to the SF meeting, where ICANN is planning to introduce the new gTDLs, there will hardly be any time for public comment. This makes the need for making this meeting open and transparent even more essential.

KK