some govt officials not comfortable with US demand for veto power on domain names

Rudi Vansnick rudi.vansnick at ISOC.BE
Sat Feb 12 10:33:12 CET 2011

If I may bring in my point of view :

Countries and especially governments are strong believers in slowing down processes, being the solution to resolve upcoming problems. Living in a country still not having finalized a federal government after elections in June 2010 (just before the ICANN meeting in Brussels), I can confirm it can hurt business and social live a lot. Is this what we would allow to happen in ICANN ?

I only believe in a non-political ICANN, keeping away (strong) government involvement, for the reason I mentioned just above. If I'm not wrong, governments are not controlling the registration of TM outside the domain name space. You may easily register a TM  that could infringe the rules they are dropping on the table. And if I'm not wrong again, a ccTLD can easily allow the registration of names as they are opposed by the German ministry being a second level domain. If that is allowed through the ICANN world why should there be opposition on the top level domain ?

Just my cent of interpretation of the text below and my feeling of imprisonment by such strong government rules.

Best regards,

Rudi Vansnick
President - CEO
——————————————— Internet Society Belgium  —————————————————
President - CEO                      Tel +32/(0)9/329.39.16
rudi.vansnick at isoc.be            Mobile +32/(0)475/28.16.32
Dendermondesteenweg 143        B-9070 Destelbergen  BELGIUM
www.internetsociety.be       "The Internet is for everyone"

Op 11-feb-2011 6, om 21:55 heeft Robin Gross het volgende geschreven: