More on USG and ICANN (also: GAC meeting in Brussels)

Konstantinos Komaitis k.komaitis at STRATH.AC.UK
Wed Feb 9 19:04:54 CET 2011

Thanks for this Mary and Milton. I suggest we circulate it to the usual suspects, CircleId etc and then individually wherever we can. I also support the idea of showing our support to the Board on this one, stating that ICANN has followed its bottom up processes and is in compliance with its Bylaws.

KK

Dr. Konstantinos Komaitis,

Law Lecturer,
Director of Postgraduate Instructional Courses
Director of LLM Information Technology and Telecommunications Law
University of Strathclyde,
The Law School,
Graham Hills building,
50 George Street, Glasgow G1 1BA
UK
tel: +44 (0)141 548 4306
http://www.routledgemedia.com/books/The-Current-State-of-Domain-Name-Regulation-isbn9780415477765
Selected publications: http://hq.ssrn.com/submissions/MyPapers.cfm?partid=501038
Website: www.komaitis.org

From: NCSG-NCUC [mailto:NCSG-NCUC-DISCUSS at LISTSERV.SYR.EDU] On Behalf Of Alex Gakuru
Sent: Wednesday, February 09, 2011 7:22 AM
To: NCSG-NCUC-DISCUSS at LISTSERV.SYR.EDU
Subject: Re: More on USG and ICANN (also: GAC meeting in Brussels)

Hi,

I have circulated it to African mailing lists.

regards,

Alex
On Wed, Feb 9, 2011 at 1:37 AM, Mary Wong <Mary.Wong at law.unh.edu<mailto:Mary.Wong at law.unh.edu>> wrote:
Hi everyone

Attached is a revised version of the proposed NCSG statement on the US Government proposal that will no doubt be discussed in Brussels. I've incorporated all Milton's edits except for a couple of minor language tweaks and edits.

Who and what should we send it to? The story's been picked up by quite a few blogs and other publications (such as Milton's piece on CBS, Declan McCullagh's and Kieran McCarthy's write ups etc.) so it seems to me that NCSG can use the opportunity to support the Board doing the right thing.

I guess we could send to the "usual suspects" like Circle ID, Managing IP, the folks mentioned here and perhaps the Internet Governance Caucus list, besides individuals and individual lists we may belong to. Any other ideas? Or would members prefer a less public approach?

Cheers
Mary

Mary W S Wong
Professor of Law
Chair, Graduate IP Programs
UNIVERSITY OF NEW HAMPSHIRE SCHOOL OF LAW
Two White Street
Concord, NH 03301
USA
Email: mary.wong at law.unh.edu<mailto:mary.wong at law.unh.edu>
Phone: 1-603-513-5143
Webpage: http://www.law.unh.edu/marywong/index.php
Selected writings available on the Social Science Research Network (SSRN) at: http://ssrn.com/author=437584

Milton L Mueller <mueller at SYR.EDU<mailto:mueller at SYR.EDU>>

<NCSG-NCUC-DISCUSS at listserv.syr.edu<mailto:NCSG-NCUC-DISCUSS at listserv.syr.edu>>

2/7/2011 2:26 PM

Re: More on USG and ICANN

Mary
Thanks for the initial good work. I've gone over it, deleted some things, modified wording mainly on the GAC censorship issue, and added a short section on Vertical integration.
As I understand it, you are addressing this statement to the GAC members. For this to be worthwhile, we must have a means of distributing this to GAC members. What is your proposed method? I don't know for sure how to do it.
On the GAC veto, I have strengthened the language considerably. Please do not fall into the trap of voicing support for "universal resolvability," as if a GAC veto were actually some kind of a remedy for national-level blocking. Here is my substitute language:
"We wish to emphasize that an appeal to "universal resolvability of DNS" cannot possibly justify giving any individual government the power to block the creation of a TLD "for any reason." One does not advance the cause of a globally interconnected internet by encouraging any individual government to exercise a global authority to block the creation of top level domain applications. The only effect of such a policy would be to multiply one country's controls and regulations to all countries. There are in fact no technical harms to the Internet as a whole caused by the blocking of a single TLD by one or a few countries."
I also deleted your list of "misapprehensions" - first, what you are doing there is re-stating USG's arguments and anyone reading it hurriedly (as almost all will) can easily come away with the misapprehension that you are supporting those arguments. Second, it's too wordy and assumes too careful a reading  - you are telling the reader what arguments you will reject hundreds of words later, and it's unlikely people will read the doc with that level of care, best to just attack the arguments when you attack them.
Edited file is attached