SOPA and GoDaddy

Dan Krimm dan at MUSICUNBOUND.COM
Sun Dec 25 23:03:59 CET 2011

As Tara and Avri have pointed out, the recant is more PR than procedurally
substantive.  They're playing politics here, not changing policy, evidently.

For my part, I've never used them, but ever since Fyodor Vaskovich (Nmap,
insecure.com, seclists.org) had a very bad experience with an unwarranted
full-domain takedown back in 2007, I've distrusted them and periodically
they seem to run into additional thoughtlessness, reinforcing this
reputation rather than ameliorating it.

Their investment in edgy branding is all about a constructed image, not
related to function or policy -- designed to get attention (of customers
who don't know any better -- in terms of economic theory, their advertising
does nothing to reduce "information asymmetry" in the market), not to do
the right thing.  Different registrars are not basically all the same like
cola drinks, but GoDaddy is effectively encouraging consumers not to do due
diligence in choosing them ("nothing to see here, just move along ... hey,
look over there: a wardrobe malfunction").

My understanding is that they had a seat at the table in negotiating terms
of SOPA, and from the looks of it they mainly want to be "a player" rather
than specifically being responsive to customers.  My personal opinion is
that they are trying to play it both ways with conciliatory rhetoric
without really changing the substance of their position.  If they can
finesse a lot of customers back by saying "I'm sorry, trust me now" without
having to actually change their position in the policy-making process
itself, then their business stays intact and they can have their cake and
eat it too.

In short, they treat their customers like suckers (and in fact, like P.T.
Barnum, they seem to be aiming specifically for suckers as a marketing
strategy -- not that all of their customers actually *are* suckers, of
course, but the corporate attitude is pretty clear).

I would never consider using them, regardless of what they claim to say
about their positions on such policy matters.  Their brand in my book
remains the one they purchased from Fyodor this past summer in order to get
it off the radar: NoDaddy.

Dan

--
Any opinions expressed in this message are those of the author alone and do
not necessarily reflect any position of the author's employer.