Role of Liaisons was Re: [] New GTLDs: ...

William Drake william.drake at UZH.CH
Tue Dec 13 14:59:28 CET 2011

Hi Avri

On Dec 13, 2011, at 1:40 PM, Avri Doria wrote:

> Hi Joly,
>
> Thanks!
>
> Hi Bill,
>
> I can tell that my email on liaisons was not well received by you.  My apologies.

I admit that I was surprised you seemed to be going out of your way to say I was doing the liaison job wrong, which seemed especially odd at a moment when the type of engagement you appeared to be advocating is manifestly not in the reverse here.  But I was not offended or whatever.  My reply simply said this why I did x rather than y.  I don't think y would have been well received in ALAC given the difficult history and relationships, whereas x helped a little to calm things down and make further communication possible.  That to me seems like useful liaising, going into their house and breaking stuff does not.  So it's just a definitional/ tactical disagreement, not a big deal.

> As for your suggestion, I have already taken on enough ICANN tasks to keep me quite busy.  More then that, though, I do not beleive my viewpoints are in the mainstream of NCUC at this point and may not even represent the mainstream of NCSG members, so would not see myself as being a good representative of the NCSG at this point in its and my lifecycle.  I think it is important for a group to have a liaison who is comfortable that she is in the mainstream of the organization she is representing.

I don't agree that your views are not in the mainstream, and I suspect quite a lot of people would be happy to have you serve as liaison to CSG, where a more assertive model of engagement would be entirely justified and necessary.

> But thanks for thinking of me.  I am sure the CSG would have been' thrilled' to have me as a liaison.  It might have even been enough to bring them together. if I remember correctly I have been a unifying, albeit external, influence for the CSG in recent history.

See, it'd be a win win all around!

> I would have answered a few of your other points, but it was just too caustic a note for me to know how to approach it.  Sorry I disagreed.

Nothing wrong with disagreeing and didn't mean to sound caustic if I did.  Surprise and mild annoyance can seep into words more than intended.

Please reconsider the CSG thing, I think you'd be perfect…

Bill