New GTLDs: Upcoming GNSO Council Meeting

Milton L Mueller mueller at SYR.EDU
Sat Dec 10 18:46:12 CET 2011

Evan
Thanks for your rather slanted take on the hearings.
I must say that I am routinely embarrassed about our Congress. It’s hearings are no longer handled as opportunities to gather information from all sides so as to inform legislation, but as stage-managed rewards to lobbyists and campaign contributors. People who lobby the hardest and pay the most get their views represented in these hearings, others don’t. These events have zero integrity. It’s odd to see an ALAC representative cheering this kind of nonsense on. But let me deal specifically with your “descriptions”

  *   The assertion by Kurt that the gTLD program had achieved a broad consensus was shot down by three other presenters, including former ALAC and ICANN Board member Esther Dyson. (It should be noted that the last official statement by ICANN At-Large on the issue -- made at the Mexico City Summit -- deemed the gTLD program "unacceptable". That position has never been rescinded;
[Milton L Mueller]
True global “consensus” – meaning, no disagreement by anyone – is absolutely and utterly impossible to achieve. It’s wearisome to see people using the term “consensus” as if it were a trump card that can be used to stop anything they don’t like, and yet cheer happily when the things they do like are pushed with even less agreement. So, Evan, by your current definition there was no “consensus” on the ALAC position on the new gtld program (I can name at least 5 ALS’s who don’t agree with it) and there is no “consensus” on the status quo regarding Whois, yet you and others are happy that we have and don’t complain about it. Double standard, anyone?
Here is the simple fact that game-playing with the word “consensus” ignores: ICANN has defined consensus to mean a certain type of majority in the policy making councils, and approval by the Board. That is what a “consensus policy” is. Full stop. It is enshrined in the by laws and the GNSO operational rules as such. By that standard, the new gTLD program achieved consensus. It was passed by the GNSO and the Board. People like you (and others in NCUC and elsewhere, for varying reasons) who are not 100% happy with the program were not successful in making certain modifications. But we bought into the process and now have to live with the results. Or at least, that would be the perspective of an honest person.

  *   The fear of needless defensive registrations is very real.
[Milton L Mueller] Yes, the FEAR is real. The question is whether the fear has any basis in fact.
There was mention that Indiana University felt it had to acquire "hoosiers.xxx",
[Milton L Mueller] Case in point. Why “must” they acquire hoosiers.xxx? Do they have a right to it? No. The term hoosiers is not owned by them, unless used in a way that causes confusion with the University. Will they be harmed if they don’t? How exactly? Most of what we are hearing from the brand lobby is nothing more than fear-mongering.
and that the owner of a company called "Meetup" was unable to acquire "meetup.xxx" because ICM has deemed that a high-value name and has reserved it for auction.
[Milton L Mueller] And oh by the way, .xxx was created under a new tld program that started in 2004 and is completely independent of this new gTLD program. Indeed, the argument you are advancing could be applied to ANY new TLD. So since when did ALAC oppose all new TLDs? Since when was that a position that has anything more than a tiny sliver of support?
This is compounded by the discussion that a number of Senators have had their own personal names acquired by speculators and, in their eyes, "held for ransom". The logic seemed to be that if such difficulties happen when there are just 22 gTLDs, how much worse will the situation be if there are 200 or 2,000 TLDs?
[Milton L Mueller] This is a great illustration of the tautological thinking that characterizes the opponents of new TLDs. First, assume that you have to pre-emptively register your name anywhere it can possibly be used; second, season that idiotic assumption with another, equally idiotic one, namely that in a world of 2,000 TLDs any 2LD name is incredibly valuable. Make those assumptions, then complain that more TLDs makes your life more difficult.
In fact, with 200 or 2000 TLDs the artificial scarcity and concentration of the name market that makes jayrockefeller.com so scary starts to erode, and becomes less and less meaningful. A domain name starts becoming what it was always meant to be: a globally unique identifier that you have to know, rather than guess, kinda like a phone number. And that’s all to the good.
I would consider the ability of any member of the population to acquire a domain name that has a Senator’s name in it to be a good thing. Why are the savants of ALAC seeking to protect politicians from being talked about? Do you think I should have the right to write a critical book about a Senator and name it “Senator X”? If not, why not? If yes, what is the difference between that and my right to register that person’s name in a domain?

  *   The refusal by ICANN to stagger approvals or announce future rounds suggest that, if there are any early lessons to be learned in the rollout, it will be too late to apply any of those lessons by the time they're identified. And ICANN seems to have absolutely no idea -- not even an order of magnitude -- just how many applications it will receive.
[Milton L Mueller] Actually this is wrong, they’ve said they will only do 1000 in the first round. And there are lots of estimates floating about regarding how many applications there will be.
FYI: There is already discussion within At-Large regarding adding further commentary on this issue for submission to the Committee.

[Milton L Mueller] That gets you all excited, eh? Why are you submitting something to a Congressional committee that has no legislative or other authority over ICANN? Why are you helping to reinforce the prejudices of a U.S. governmental committee that is only catering to a few lobbyists by holding this hearing and will disappear now that they’ve given those lobbyists their little show? Do ALAC members approve of this? Is there “consensus” on that? This is the kind of representation we are getting from our so-called representatives of “Internet users?”