NCSG Policy Principles

Milton L Mueller mueller at SYR.EDU
Mon Dec 5 15:50:45 CET 2011

Yes, I agree strongly with Maria here.

We should formulate a principle that Internet governance should remain flexible and decentralized whenever possible; call it a principle of "Internet subsidiarity," wherein hierarchical, centralized, collectively binding governance mechanisms should be minimized to those absolutely required to the Internet's value as an open system and the fundamental rights of its users.

And perhaps THAT should be the principle that prevails when there is conflict.

I would also like to see something expressing our philosophical support for the open, peer to peer nature of the Internet. Though maybe this isn't strictly within the purview of GNSO policy - I'm open to correction on that, though I think it's a good way to anchor our overall view.

All the best, Maria