Fwd: [council] Rod Beckstrom to leave ICANN at the end of his term

Milton L Mueller mueller at SYR.EDU
Thu Aug 18 23:05:08 CEST 2011

Maria
I did not say that it didn't matter who the CEO is. Of course it does. But its a fact that NCUC/NSCG had its worst forms of persecution by ICANN staff before Rod was CEO, and that little changed for us when he was hired.

What I think we need to distance ourselves from are Kierens claims that Rod took credit for things that others did and other kinds of personality issues. Its just not relevant to us.

Milton Mueller
Professor, Syracuse University School of Information Studies

-----Original message-----
From: Maria Farrell <maria.farrell at gmail.com>
To: Milton L Mueller <mueller at syr.edu>
Cc: "NCSG-DISCUSS at listserv.syr.edu" <NCSG-DISCUSS at listserv.syr.edu>
Sent: Thu, Aug 18, 2011 17:59:19 GMT+00:00
Subject: Re: Fwd: [council] Rod Beckstrom to leave ICANN at the end of his term

I have to disagree, Milton.

For a start, Kieren resigned at his own behest. (I was fired though - and I'm not in this for revenge but because I care about how the organisation works.) He's not a vengeful guy and is demonstrably pursuing the same arguments and issues he did before he ever worked for ICANN.

But to the main point - that it doesn't matter who's running the ship - the 'plague on all your houses' approach. Of course it matters who's in charge. NCUC has, rightly, complained strenuously for several years about being pushed aside by staff in favour of the at large and other gnso constituencies. That's staff-directed policy and can change overnight, depending on who runs the show. Even if we care less about the org as a whole, there's still a clear benefit for ncuc in some types of ceo rather than others.

Which is not to be completely naive about it. The CEO is not going to change our lives, here in NCUC, but she or he will have an impact and we can have one back.