Video of iBreakfast TLD event

Nicolas Adam nickolas.adam at GMAIL.COM
Tue Aug 9 20:40:50 CEST 2011

Thx for the pointers. Listened to a few vids.

Esther Dyson really has no imagination whatsoever.

New gTLDs will thrive not under a corporate-branding scheme, IMO, but
under a good gTLD service plan/offering that will likely cut across
brands and gTLD-solely-as-branding tool. If corporations are likewise
lacking in imagination and fearful and they uselessly considering
running a gTLD as a defensive investment, it's their loss. It IS true
that they will come up spending some money on air but they don't have
to. I own a margarine production plant and am in competition with big
ones like Unilever and if they buy .margarine this won't affect the
balance of marketing power between me and them. I'm thinking it would be
a move that brings very little competitive advantage for Unilever. Same
if I would be in the cheese market and Kraft decides to run a .cheese
scheme. Under a gTLD expansion-enabled regime, there is pretty much
limitless possibility of TLD development by competitors of Kraft or
Unilever if they so choose. Not that i believe that there would be lots
of good business reasons to do this, but the space is certainly NOT
captured by kraft or Unilever running up a .cheese or a .margarine. Most
likely the gTLD that will have success will be the ones that are truly
good service and that are not captured by this or that corp. Unilever
could register .healthyfood and do absolutely nothing interesting with
it, while a registrar bent on registering .healthyfood and bundle it
with other innovative service could make it thrive. And if the gTLD is
taken, they will just find another one: it is their business model
that's important, not the particular alphanumeric string attached to it.
There are many alternative alphanumeric strings that will do just as
good than .healtyfood.

Notwithstanding the "protection racket" argument which really is not
convincing (i will NOT register my brands as a defensive investment: i
commercialize them the best i can with the money i can spare and truly i
don't have a few thousands to spare on the menace that someone may
register them, especially not under this UDRP-economy. People that cough
up on defense really need to get some street-savvyness because that old
lady isn't all that menacing), it seems to me that many arguments
against an expansion-enabled regime, ironically, are based on the fear
that this or that corporation registers this or that gTLD thereby
capturing some sort of competitive advantage by way of somehow
monopolizing a alphanumeric string semantically relevant to their
market. The subtext is one of capture of this semantics. But this could
not be more illogical if it tried: how can an expansion-enabled gTLD
regime somehow favors capture of semantically relevant to business
strings where the regime can precisely  be expanded?

I don't know how it will all look like but, Mrs Dyson, i'm not fearful
of choice, and neither should you be. If you registered .dyson, i can
still chase after .dysonasnoimagination or, if you've taken it
defensively, .dysonisscared.

Nicolas, NCUC