Cybersquatting and individuals

Timothe Litt litt at ACM.ORG
Fri Apr 8 17:52:08 CEST 2011

Milton,

I think you are drawing too much from the situation that caused me to think
about all this.  I am not advocating insanity.  I'm sorry that wasn't clear.
Let's consider your scenario:

Case a) Melvin gets milton.com as you describe.
	Right now, Melvin can pretend to be you, and you have no recourse
thru ICANN policy.  You can try the courts - if you can afford it.

Case b)You got milton.com 5 years ago and have an extended family website,
also hosting personal interest blogs and mailing lists involving several
hundred (or thousand) people.  Your great aunt happens to be an amateur
circus designer who writes circus critiques and despises funhouses that
glamorize obesity.
	Milton funhouse mirror supply (MFMS) incorporates in Zambia, and
gets a tradmark for the Milton brand.

	Under current policy, you lose your domain name - only trademark
holders have rights.  You have no right even to the domain name.

Case c) SquatSlug has registered milton.com along with 900,000 other domain
names with the hope of profiting via the usual greenmail.  All that it's
used for is a website that says "This domain (might be) for sale".

	As you say, you can try to buy it from her - if you can find viable
contact information and if you can afford it.

	But effectively you will never get that string, despite the fact
that it is not being used productively.

	That's the way .com works, and there's not much we can do about it.

	However, I posit that it would be quite useful to have one or more
TLDs with different rules - that effectively ban SquatSlug and her kind from
tieing up domain names.  If they're not in productive use, they're available
first-come first-serve.  I believe this would be popular in both
non-commerical and commercial TLDs - though regrettably, it can't be
implemented ex-post facto.  With this rule, both you and Melvin can put the
name to productive use without paying black (er, green) mail.  This isn't a
right to a _name_, it's an attempt to make sure that a scarce public
resource is put to productive use.

Further, I posit that it would be useful to create one or more new TLDs
where trademark rights are attenuated, so that once you have milton.com, you
can't lose it to MFMS under case (b).  You could lose it if you impersonated
MFMS.  This is an attempt to provide you with a TLD where you have the right
to your _domain name_ free of highjacking by trademark.

If a TLD were created with attenuated trademark rights, I would advocate
that it also be a squatter-free TLD.  The two are orthogonal, but I happen
to believe in both.

Yes, domain names have become a circus.  I'd just like to have some part of
the namespace where individuals have rights.

I'm open to alternative ideas on how to get there, and what they should be.

This communication may not represent my employer's views,
if any, on the matters discussed.