Domain Name Front Running

Jonathan Kramer, Esq. kramer at TELECOMLAWFIRM.COM
Fri Apr 1 05:27:02 CEST 2011

Marc:

Unless you have a static IP address which is registered to you or your firm
(see, for example, http://whois.domaintools.com/66.116.74.45), then your
personal information is fairly secure.  Of course tracking cookies are a
serious source of concern, but I presume from your posts that you are very
security conscious and likely flush your system cookies and Flash cookies
regularly.  The most that would likely be gleaned from your whois queries is
your IP address connected to the query. If your IP is dynamically assigned,
then this lessens the possibility of tying your whois queries directly to
you.

I think that the fact that Gilroy (Garlic...YUM!) announces that it's
starting a farmers market, and a few weeks later that obvious name is
registered by a "Joey Pauline" who only apparently has a handful of other
domains, should not come as a surprise, or suggest that whois queries are
being sniffed.  Rather, it suggests to me that Joey was "the early bird that
caught the worm", here the obvious event name.

Respectfully,

Jonathan

____________________
Jonathan L. Kramer, Esq.