Absence from Sept. 8 GNSO Council meeting

Wendy Seltzer wendy at SELTZER.COM
Tue Sep 7 00:14:11 CEST 2010

I will not be able to attend the Sept. 8 Council meeting, as I
previously indicated, including in the "doodle" at which we were asked
whether we could reschedule this meeting from its prior date.

It does not appear that absence triggers any of the substitution
procedures in the new Council Operating Procedures.
<http://gnso.icann.org/bitcache/7a765a05946769b7636c810d93b81415a294624e?vid=14257&disposition=attachment&op=download>
However, I see nothing in the rules addressing whether one can declare a
"volitional abstention" when one is absent from a meeting.

If NCSG would like to do so, I'm happy to test that course of action --
i.e., indicate to Council that I "volitionally abstain" from the votes
scheduled for Sept. 8 because I will not be able to participate in the
surrounding discussion, and give a proxy to another NCSG Councilor, as
selected by NCSG. (4.5.3-b.i) (I personally would be curious to know how
that is treated.)

Substantively, I'd vote in favor of Mike's motion, as amended, for the
1st WHOIS study.

--Wendy

issues from GNSO Council agenda

Wendy Seltzer -- wendy at seltzer.org
Fellow, Princeton Center for Information Technology Policy
Fellow, Berkman Center for Internet & Society at Harvard University
http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/seltzer.html
http://www.chillingeffects.org/
https://www.torproject.org/
http://www.freedom-to-tinker.com/