Can ICANN be decentralized?

Milton L Mueller mueller at SYR.EDU
Mon Nov 22 16:40:28 CET 2010

Mark
ICANN actually doesn't control the root servers, which are somewhat autonomously run by various entities around the world.
Actually it (with oversight from the US Dept of commerce) manages the contents of the root zone file.
Those contents are then distributed by the root servers.
As Jorge suggests, it is the need for coordinated uniqueness in top level names that creates the centralization.
As you noted, ICANN, DoC and others exploit this need for coordination to impose political and regulatory controls on the DNS.
It is possible, as I and others have argued, to have multiple roots, not centrally coordinated, but this also raises the risk of some incompatibilities.