SPAM-LOW: Re: NPOC Q&A Document

Andrew A. Adams aaa at MEIJI.AC.JP
Thu Nov 11 01:14:20 CET 2010

> I really appreciate your comments!

You're welcome. Dialogue is definitely the way forward.

> I will think this through some more
>
> I'm focused on getting to the point of having a Charter as I think we are in a weaker position (structurally with ICANN) until this is done

I agree, and many here believe that we should all be focussed on getting an
acceptable charter to NCSG members adopted by the board/staff at ICANN,
ratherr than trying to set up internal structures, particularly where the it
is unclear what those structures will mean once we get the final charter in
place.

> I understand the 'from with in" point - and the opportunity this creates to know people but there are "NPOC" members in NCSG now

Indeed, and none of them beyond the proposing organisation seem to have been
approached to create an existing block of members, but the proposed members
of the constituency are all shadowy non-members.

> I understand the "more specific focus" point eg I see possibility for Education, Consumers .....

Indeed, I would hope for example that educational institutions (separate from
academics such as myself whose research is in this area) from schools to
colleges to Universities would engage and they would form a natural interest
group/constituency.

> Both of these in my view are fixable through dialogue
>
> But our Charter includes Constituencies as an element in our structure - so for me the approach during the "Due Diligence" phase should focus on supporting the Constituency development and not on denying access

The NPOC proposal hs been submitted to ICANN over opposition by many within
NCSG
 and under the interim charter. Given the lack of clarity with regards to
what interest groups/constituencies will look like I do not think that
proposing an actual constituency is useful at this point. On the other hand
discussing the shape and membership criteria of interest groups would be very
useful. These discussions need to be done whatever interest groups or
constituencies look like under the final charter and that sort of discussion
would be useful, so long as it doesn't distract from getting the charter
issue sorted out.

> If I have misunderstood our process through inexperience that's fine
>
> But these are my concerns at present

I think you are in agreement with most here that this NPOC proposal as a
formal proposal to the Board for the construction of an NCSG constituency
under the interim charter is a distraction from getting the final charter
sorted out, and therefore unwelcome, whatever its merits as a long-term
constituency.

Professor Andrew A Adams                      aaa at meiji.ac.jp
Professor at Graduate School of Business Administration,  and
Deputy Director of the Centre for Business Information Ethics
Meiji University, Tokyo, Japan       http://www.a-cubed.info/