NPOC Q&A Document

Konstantinos Komaitis k.komaitis at STRATH.AC.UK
Wed Nov 10 12:40:06 CET 2010

The idea of forming new constituencies is great and should be welcomed as this is part of expanding NCSG's membership and having more individuals and/or organisations joining and contributing to ICANN policies. The main issue, I guess, revolves around the premise that new constituencies will be based on. My main problem with NPOC - and this is something that has already been reiterated by other members in this discussion thread - is that its premise is based on a disagreement with the way some policy issues have been dealt with. I would really discourage such an approach; disagreement and debate is part of creating great policy and certainly there will be issues that a group which lists 200 members will not be able to agree on. Should this mean that every time there is disagreement, anyone can suggest the formation of a new constituency? Or should this mean that we follow standard democratic processes with the majority determining how NCSG will be represented? I would really like to see us engaging in a substantive debate and discussion on the various issues and continue to work together to better promote multistakeholderism in ICANN as well as non-commercial interests.

KK

Dr. Konstantinos Komaitis,

Law Lecturer,
Director of Postgraduate Instructional Courses
Director of LLM Information Technology and Telecommunications Law
University of Strathclyde,
The Law School,
Graham Hills building,
50 George Street, Glasgow G1 1BA