ICANN staff repudiates community call for change on Morality & Public Order

Robin Gross robin at IPJUSTICE.ORG
Mon Nov 15 17:57:25 CET 2010

ICANN staff has (again) thrown out the consensus of the community in the Rec6 Working Group on Morality & Public Order of new gtlds and decided to institute its own policy - one concerned only with "risk management" to ICANN (i.e. cheap insurance & lawsuits).  So all of the important public interest points that NCSG and ALAC were able to get into the policy have been unilaterally thrown out by staff.  Even Leibovitch from ALAC has written a good summarization of this tragedy - see below.    We'll need to dust-off the campaign equipment on this issue.   It is huge: a gigantic power grab by ICANN policy staff against the entire community.

Robin

On Nov 15, 2010, at 8:15 AM, Evan Leibovitch wrote:

> FYI - sent 3AM this morning.

IP JUSTICE
Robin Gross, Executive Director
p: +1-415-553-6261    f: +1-415-462-6451
w: http://www.ipjustice.org     e: robin at ipjustice.org