Status of the charter vote

Dan Krimm dan at MUSICUNBOUND.COM
Wed May 26 20:12:52 CEST 2010

Thanks for the comment.  I understand that all members are well qualified
to contribute to the group, and I admire and respect that expertise a
great deal.  What I hope is that members will indeed exercise that
opportunity to contribute, especially with regard to this important vote.

I think the issue here is that the group needs a very solid participation
rate in the vote in order for ICANN to respect the results of the vote as
representing the genuine wishes of the group as a whole.  If a highly
qualified person nominally joins up but then does not participate in group
activities, it may not serve the interests of the group particularly well.

As those who have worked so hard putting this charter together have
expressed, this is not some casual matter that can be ignored without
consequence.  Too many abstentions will have a negative impact on the
perception of the total result.  While an abstention in this case does not
necessarily represent a full "no" vote, it contributes to undermining the
perceived legitimacy of the final vote.

It's like "putting an asterisk next to the result" and suggesting some
doubt as to whether the group fully endorses its own collective proposal.

As a result, (non-)participation in this particular vote makes a
difference to the entire group, and so I'd encourage everyone to
participate.  It makes a difference to all if too many individuals don't
participate.   By joining a group, one balances individual interests with
the collective interests of the group, and I'd ask that individuals take
the collective group interests into account when making their individual
decisions.

My Draconian idea was not about intrinsic individual qualification, but
rather about willingness to engage the group process actively.  This group
will function better in ICANN's governance process if most of its members
have at least some minimum level of active engagement, and it seems to me
that participation in a vote on the fundamental charter of the group
itself would constitute such a minimum engagement.

If greatly qualified people can't even find the time to participate in
this vote, what expectation do we have that they would be able to
contribute in any other way in the future?

In my own case, I have hardly any time to participate substantively, other
than picking a few choice messages on this list to read (or skim) along
the way.  But, it was easy for me to find the time to cast my vote on this
charter.  That is the low-hanging fruit.

Best,
Dan

--
Any opinions expressed in this message are those of the author alone and
do not necessarily reflect any position of the author's employer.